Instruction and Workshops:|
It is our nature to create. Within each of us, there is a force that tugs at us from within to create and it often feels like a deep longing.
1. Free Your Creative Spirit through a 2-day intensive workshop
Take two days to dig deep and discover and express your creativity through your medium and activity of choice. This workshop is for anyone who wants to be more creative and innovative in anything that they do, whether work, the arts, hobbies or relationships. During the workshop, you will learn about the creative process in general and explore your own creative process in a safe confidential environment free of criticism or judgement. You will learn to recognize obstacles or blocks that interfere with your creativity, and you will set your own set of creative goals. A combination of presentations, interactive discussion, meditation, writing, journaling and painting will be used to uncover your blocks, set your goals and unleash your creativity. On the second day, you will complete a short creative project.
Following the workshop, attendees may choose to have a one-on-one session with the facilitator to discuss their specific creative issues.
Contact the artist for workshop dates/schedule.
2. Creativity Group Sessions
Explore and discuss your own creative process in a series of 8 weekly 2 hour meetings with a small group of 5 to 6 individuals. Work on finding your process, inspiration and setting personal creative goals through a series of discussions and exercises to free and stimulate your creativity. This workshop is suited for anyone who wants to be more creative or innovative, whether at work, in the arts, sports or hobbies.
SKYPE group - Contact the artist for workshop dates/schedule.
Visit www.CarlaWeaver.ca or www.CarlaWeaver.com for more workshop information. Register at www.CarlaWeaver.ca
I was raised in Saskatchewan in a small farming community, where I loved to be outdoors all summer and hated the cold winters. As a child I loved to draw, but as I grew up, I got away from my art. After receiving my business degree from the University of Saskatchewan in 1973, I moved west to Calgary for approximately 10 years. Since then, I have lived in Toronto, Vancouver, the Cowichan Valley, Delta, White Rock, and Mexico, and I travel as often as I can. I now make my home base Parksville, spending the winters in Puerto Vallarta.
It was while I was living in Toronto in the mid 80’s that I decided to reacquaint myself with drawing and enrolled in a drawing class at The Royal Ontario Museum. My creative spirit was reawakened, and I continued to study art at the Alberta College of Art, Emily Carr College of Art and Design and UBC. In 1991, I received my BA in Fine Art from UBC, and my Master of Arts in 1993.
Since 1988, I have painted as much as possible. In the beginning, my work was almost always in oil. While I particularly love the luminosity and feel of working with oil and am attracted to the intensity of colour that can be achieved with oils, most recently I have been experimenting with acrylics and mixed media, which I find more flexible for abstract painting.
I endeavor to capture the feeling of the moment. Whether my painting is a landscape, a still life, or an abstract, I paint the feeling or mood of the place, the still life arrangement, or the abstract concept. For me, painting is about expressing some principle, emotion, idea or concept visually. Therefore, my work is never highly realistic, but always a little abstract, a little imperfect, just as I am.
My representational work reflects my prairie upbringing and my yen for travel. I choose subjects such as prairie landscapes, scenes depicting Mexican architecture and culture, flowers from gardens in British Columbia, still life or subjects from home or my travel. My abstract paintings reflect my journey along my spiritual path.
One of the artists who has most influenced my work is Wassily Kandinsky. He believed that literature, music and art were the best vehicles by which to communicate the spiritual, and that art must be an expression of the inner need of the artist and should touch the soul of the viewer/listener. Add to this influence, what I have learned from several semi abstract painters from whom I have recently taken workshops, and I am moved to paint abstract and semi abstract paintings that are inspired from within. By starting with 3 colors abstractly applied to a canvas, it is exciting to see what emerges from the images by working with mixed media and collage.
As it has been my lifelong journey to unleash my creative spirit, I developed a two-day workshop entitled “Express Your Creative Spirit,” which I offer to support others on their creative journeys. And, as a reference for my representational painting, I started to take photographs, and I sell my photos on a series of cards. My photos are usually of British Columbia gardens and flowers, or from my travels. Cards and prints of my paintings are available on my website.
I am a member of the Federation of Canadian Artists Arrowsmith Chapter and the DeCosmos Fine Art Society on Vancouver Island. In the past, I have been a member of the South Delta Artists’ Guild, the Vancouver Arts Council, Delta Arts Council, and the Surrey Arts Council. I have been on the Boards of Directors of the Delta Arts Council and on the South Delta Artists’ Guild as Secretary, Chair of the Gallery Committee, President, and Past President.
My studio, located in Parksville, BC, is open by appointment.
I currently have work up at the Parksville Community Centre on Jensen Street in Parksville.
I will be participating in the Mother Earth Show at The Old School House Gallery in Qualicum Beach in September.
From time to time, my work is also shown at the Federation Gallery on Granville Island.
1992 - Alice E. Wilson Award, Canadian Federation of University Women
| ||My work is in various private collections in Canada, the United States and Mexico.
| ||My work was published on the cover of "Exemplary Research" by Dr. Peter Frost. I also participated in the Poets and Painters book published by the South Delta Artists Guild (2009). Contact me or visit www.SouthDeltaArtistsGuild.com to purchase the Poets and Painters book.
Prints of my work are available in various sizes on canvas. They are also available on paper matted and ready for framing in either a 16" x 20" or 11" x 14" standard frame. Purchases can be made on this website (under catalog) using Paypal. If you have questions, contact the artist by email for more information.
Art cards and matted prints are available with any of my images on them. The cards are 5" x 7", blank inside, and come with a plain envelope. Cards are $5.00 each or buy 5, get 1 free, and can be ordered by emailing the artist.
- Stephanie Cadieux, MLA Surrey-Panorama Constituency Office, Surrey, BC, August – October 2011.
- Jagrup Brar, MLA Surrey-Fleetwood Constituency Office, Surrey, BC, August – October 2011.
- Expressing My Creative Spirit, Havanna Gallery and Theatre, Vancouver, BC, October 2010.
- Suke Dhaliwal’s Office, Surrey, BC, October 2010.
- Surrey Board of Trade, Surrey, BC, June 2010.
- Piecing It All Together, Delta Arts Council, Tsawwassen Arts Centre, July 2009.
- South Delta Public Library & Art Gallery, September 2007
- Bean Town Coffee House, Dunbar St., Vancouver, July 2006, June 2007
- Delta Public Library, Delta, BC, August 2004, September 2007
- Squamish Public Library & Art Gallery, November-December 2006
- Blenz, West Broadway, Vancouver, BC, September 1995, December 2000, November 2001, June 2002, Spring/Summer 2003, April-June 2004, November 2004-March 2005, Fall 2006, December 2006 to March 2007, May 2007.
- Indian Head Saskatchewan, August 2002
- Bean Town, Vancouver, BC, May 2002
- Dakota’s, Vancouver, BC, May-September 2000
- Performance Works, Vancouver, BC. October 1999
- Plaskett Gallery, New Westminster, BC, August 1997
- In The Arts Gallery, Victoria, BC, September 1996
- Chemainus Theatre Gallery, Chemainus, BC, September/October 1996
- Hycroft, University Women’s Club, Vancouver, BC, 1995
- Backstreet Café, St. Albert, Alberta, March 1995
- The Lawcourts Inn, Provincial Courthouse, Vancouver, BC, March 1995
- University Golf Club, Vancouver, BC, November 1994
- Citizens Trust, Vancouver, BC, June/July 1994
- Faculty Lounge Gallery, Faculty of Commerce, University of British Columbia, May 1994
- Graduating Show, University Golf club, Vancouver, BC, November 1993
- Lutheran Campus Centre, University of British Columbia, February 1993
- AMS Gallery, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, January 1992
- AMS Gallery, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, October 1990
- Ongoing monthly exhibitions at the Longhouse Center of the Arts, Tsawwassen, BC, 2006 to 2017
- Abstract Show,Federation of Canadian Artists, Granville Island, Vancouver, BC, May 2011
- Autumn View, The Old School House Gallery, Qualicum Beach, October 2009
- Spring Flowers, The Old School House Gallery, Qualicum Beach, May 2009
- Spring Show, The Old School House Gallery, Qualicum Beach, BC, May, 2008
- Landscapes, Federation of Canadian Artists, Granville Island, Vancouver, BC, February 2008
- Celebration of Colour, Group Show, The Old School House Gallery, Qualicum Beach, BC, November 12-December 3, 2007
- Semi-Abstract Show, Federation of Canadian Artists, Granville, Island, Vancouver, BC, May 2007, May 2008
- Art in the City, West End Community Center, May 2007
- Expressions in Harmony with Donna D’Aquino, Tsawwassen Longhouse Gallery, September 2006
- Indian Summer, Richmond Arts Council Juried Exhibition, September 2006, September 2008
- Oil and Water, South Delta Artists’ Guild Juried Exhibition, July 2006, July 2007, July 2008, July 2010, July 2011.
- Gallery in the Garden, Delta Arts Council, Wellbrook Winery, Delta, BC – July 10, 2005
- Catch the Spirit Art, Delta, BC, July 16 & 17, 2005 and White Rock, BC, June, July and August 2007
- October group exhibit with Bonnie Kramer, Faith Love-Robertson, Geoffrey Richardson, South Delta Artists’ Guild, October 2005
- ArtSpacific, Firehall Centre for The Arts, Delta Arts Council, Delta, BC, April 2004, May 2005, May 2006, May 2007, May 2009
- Student Show, Federation of Canadian Artists Gallery, Vancouver, BC, January 2005
- Small, Smaller, Smallest, Federation of Canadian Artists Gallery, December 2004
- Art Odyssey, Chemainus BC, Summer 2002, Summer 2003, Summer 2004
- Flower Power, Old School House Gallery, Qualicum Beach, BC, May 2004
- Changing Light, Federation of Canadian Artists Gallery, September-October 2003
- Altered States, Federation of Canadian Artists Gallery, June-July 2003
- Burnaby Arts Council Spring Juried Show, May 2003, April 2007.
- Art in the Park, Douglas Park Community Centre, Vancouver, BC, April 2001
- Small Picture Show, Federation of Canadian Artists Gallery, Vancouver, BC, December 1997
- Shieling Studio Show, Cobble Hill, BC, July 1996
- New Artists Gallery, Vancouver, BC, July 1996
- Cherry Point Vineyard Gallery, Cobble Hill, BC, June-July 1996
- Mill Bay Community League Spring Art Show and Sale, Mill Bay Community Centre, Mill Bay, BC, May 1996
- Spring Art Show, Cowichan Valley Community Arts Council, Native Heritage Centre, Duncan, BC, April 1996
- Intermountain Artists Juried Exhibition, Evelyn O. Royce Art Gallery, Fall River Mills, CA, September-October 1994, September-October 1995.
- Verse and Vision, Cowichan Theatre Gallery, Cowichan Valley Community Arts Council, Duncan, BC, October 1995
- Rhododendrons and Companions Galore, The Old School House Gallery and Art Centre, Qualicum Beach, BC, September 1995
- Spirit of Women, Cowichan Theatre Gallery, Cowichan Community Arts Council, Duncan, BC, September 1995
- Artisans ’95, Community Arts Council of Sidney and North Saanich, Sidney, BC, August 1995
- Sunday Artists Show, Vancouver Community Arts Council, Vancouver, BC, August 1994
- Faculty Lounge Gallery, UBC Faculty of Commerce, September 1993, November 1990
- Images and Objects IX, BC Festival of the Arts, Vancouver, May 1991
- Community Arts council Juried Exhibition, Vancouver, March 1991